Having been a 5 handicapper as a teenager, I didn't play golf for 8 years. In 2007 I started playing golf again, and was given a handicap of 8 by my new club. I set myself a 5 season target to become a scratch golfer, the deadline being 30th September 2011. The clock is ticking.......

Monday 29 November 2010

Winter Is Here

UK Handicap; 3.3 USGA Handicap; 1.7

Apologies for the lack of updates, but there has not been much to update on. Winter is officially here.

The day of my last post I played my last competition round of 2010. It was meant to be the penultimate competition of the year, but it is so cold, and the course is playing so long with greens that have the roll of a test site for the moon landings, that I decided that there is absolutely no point in playing again to try and get my handicap reduced, as it’s almost certain it would result in a 0.1 increase instead.

Despite the conditions, I actually played fairly well. Two birdies and two bogeys in the first 5 holes wasn’t too consistent, but I then rattled off 8 pars, followed by 2 stupid bogeys, followed by another 3 pars. So I walked off with 37 points, one better than my handicap, and what I considered to be a very good score.

The UK system of handicapping is good in that the Competition Scratch Score can alter based on the conditions of the day, so there was the possibility that I would get more than 0.1 reduced from my handicap due to the harsh playing environment. The downside is that the CSS uses the scores of the competition to decide what alteration, if any, there should be. So it’s open to statistical anomalies, especially where there are a small number of competitors, and a few of them score 34 points or better. In fact, in an event where all the entries are category 1 players, and everyone scores 35 points, the CSS would actually move downwards and everyone’s handicap gets increased, even though the worst score was 35 points. The calculation also doesn’t take into account a few people all having a good day on the same day.

Note that when the competition is stableford (i.e. the scores are around 36 and the higher the points the better the score), the CSS ‘coming down’ actually means you need more points to play to your handicap. Where the competition is strokeplay (i.e. the scores are around 70 and the lower the score the better) the CSS coming down means just that, to play to my handicap I need to shoot one shot less than normal.

That is unfortunately what happened in this competition, as 5 of the 11 entrants (45%) scored 34 points or better, and the chart for this makeup of competition states that the CSS comes down if more than 44% of entrants score 34 points or better. So instead of needing 36 points to play to my handicap, and get cut 0.1 for every point I get above 36, I actually needed 37 points to play to my handicap, and 38 or more to get cut.

The end result is that I finish the season on 3.3, not a disaster but not the progress I had hoped for either. I played my best golf of the year in the final 2 months, I have a few months to figure out what the difference was in that time and make sure I can keep it into next year.

Over the winter I am aiming to play once a week, and the Tigers section of my club have agreed to have a meeting once every 3 weeks, plus a matchplay event over the winter months. This will keep everyone’s eye in, instead of the temptation to put the clubs away for the winter and dust them off in March.

The first of the 3-weekly events was on Saturday, and as if an omen, it snowed on Friday night. There were seven brave (or foolish, I can’t decide which) people who turned up on Saturday, and we played 9 holes in about ½ inch of snow. It was a bit of a lottery, but good fun overall. 5 of the 7 managed to get 14 points or more over 9 holes, which was actually not bad, and we managed a couple of birdies, and an eagle on a 400 yard par 4, between us.

Next up for me is a lesson in a couple of weeks time, in order to get some things to work on over the winter, other than that it will be the occasional round just to keep things ticking over, I’ll endeavour to keep this blog up to date with any interesting developments, either involving my game or other topics I happen to come across.

No comments:

Post a Comment