Having been a 5 handicapper as a teenager, I didn't play golf for 8 years. In 2007 I started playing golf again, and was given a handicap of 8 by my new club. I set myself a 5 season target to become a scratch golfer, the deadline being 30th September 2011. The clock is ticking.......

Sunday 20 December 2009

My Majors

Most people will be aware of the 4 Majors in the professional golfing calendar; US Masters, US Open, The Open Championship, and the USPGA. These are the tournaments that all golfers strive to win, and indeed the whole success of their careers is often defined by whether they win any of these titles.
They still put a lot of effort into the other regular tournaments, but the 4 majors are the performance peaks of the year.

Likewise, I have my own majors. They aren’t going to change my life if I win them, nor make me famous, but they are the tournaments that carry more importance to me than the regular Saturday Medal.
In 2010, I am going to have 7 Majors. I've already booked 3 weeks off work to play in them all, these are the tournaments that are effectively my holidays for 2010. I'm going to do whatever I can to ensure that I play to the best of my capabilities, which in turn will help me enjoy them even more. Playing in tournaments in great, but playing well in tournaments is absolutely mind-bogglingly fantastic. My 7 majors for 2010 are;

The Worman Sword – 8th May 2010 - a 36 hole strokeplay competition at Wyke Green. Last year; 15th.
Forfar 36 Hole Open – 30th May 2010 – another 36 hole competition over 1 day. 2010 will be my first appearance.
Middlesex County Championship – 4th June 2010 – 36 hole strokeplay followed by the top 16 playing knockout matchplay. To be held at Bush Hill Park in 2010. Last year; 39th.
Club Championship – 26th June 2010 – 36 holes strokeplay over 1 or 2 days (TBC). Last year; 3rd.
Montrose 5 Day Open – 26th – 30th July 2010 – 36 holes strokeplay over 2 days, followed by knockout matchplay over 3 days. 2010 will be my first appearance.
Monifieth 18 Hole Open – 1st August 2010 – 18 holes strokeplay over the course I grew up playing. Last year; 7th.
Craw’s Nest Tassie – 6th – 11th September 2010 – 36 holes strokeplay over the Carnoustie Championship and Burnside courses, with the top 64 playing knockout matchplay over the Championship course. 2010 will be my first appearance.

The first challenge, like professionals and their majors, is to actually get into these tournaments. There’s no problem from a handicap point of view, a 3 handicapper won’t be balloted out of any of them, but some of them are on a first-come first served basis, and can fill up very quickly.

I’ll have my targets for each of these tournaments, but I’ll share them, plus my theory behind targets, in a few days time.

No comments:

Post a Comment