Having been a 5 handicapper as a teenager, I didn't play golf for 8 years. In 2007 I started playing golf again, and was given a handicap of 8 by my new club. I set myself a 5 season target to become a scratch golfer, the deadline being 30th September 2011. The clock is ticking.......

Thursday 17 December 2009

The start of a journey

So, my first post on my first blog, after months of procrastinating I've finally taken the plunge.
Over the coming months / years / decades, I aim to keep this blog updated with my progress in my aim to get a golf handicap certificate that says '... and his playing handicap is ZERO.' on it. During that time, I'll post about games I've played, people I've played with, quite a few statistics and articles relating to golf in general, my hopes, targets, and results against those targets. My starting point at the moment is a handicap of 3.2, so I need to shave 2.8 off to get a playing handicap of scratch. Sounds easy, a 24 handicapper can reduce his or her handicap by 2.8 with one good round, however doing it at the other end of the handicap spectrum is going to be one of the hardest challenges I've ever undertaken.
There are literally tens of thousands of golfers that think they are good enough to play off scratch, and over 95% of them never achieve it. What's different about me? Well, to be honest, I don't know, maybe 2.5 is the lowest I can ever get, however with the progress I've made over the last 3 seasons, a regimented plan, and above all a bit of experience, I'm more confident in my ability to achieve the target now, than I was when aged 18. I maybe hit the ball better back then, but I didn't have the psychological nous to be able to manouvere my way around a golf course.
One thing I definitely won't be doing on this blog is posting about golf instruction, there is so much information on the net about how to hit a golf ball, that me adding a bit more will not make a blind bit of difference. The only thing I will say is if you want to play better golf, go and see your local PGA pro!
With it being winter the handicap graph on the right of the page won't be updating much, but there will still be things to talk about, including the battle to get into the tournaments I want to play next year, a new set of irons I'm getting that will hopefully shave 1.5-2 shots off my game, and a few interesting calculations that I've done over the last few months.
By the time we reach March / April the competitions will have started and we'll then begin to see if the new clubs / prayers / winter practice have helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment