Having been a 5 handicapper as a teenager, I didn't play golf for 8 years. In 2007 I started playing golf again, and was given a handicap of 8 by my new club. I set myself a 5 season target to become a scratch golfer, the deadline being 30th September 2011. The clock is ticking.......

Sunday 3 January 2010

A Cold Start To 2010

Went out this afternoon and hit my first golf balls of the year.
It was an inauspicious start, with my first tee shot being a good strike before taking a sharp bounce left and going in a stream. Things picked up after a few holes and I got warmed up and finished with 5 consecutive pars. Overall I was surprised with how well I hit my irons.
However, the scoring was irrelevant today, as the course was virtually unplayable.
This became apparent when I hit a beautiful 8 iron on the 3rd hole, which pitched pin high and 4 foot left of the hole. It then bounced 40 foot into the air off of the frozen green, and its 2nd bounce was 20 yards past the hole off the back of the green.
So I cut my game short, and retreated to the practice nets to hit 70 balls, at least I didn’t have to worry about where they were going to end up.
Below is a picture of a bunker on the 5th hole, it’s full of ice and is a good representation of what the course was like.

It’s made me think that for the next few months I need to get scoring out of my head, and concentrate on just hitting the ball well. The short game is virtually impossible to practice on frozen ground, so I’m going to concentrate on my irons in the practice nets until the ground thaws. Only then can I work on the chipping and putting, instead of trying to practice chips that will only come in handy in the Siberian Open.

No comments:

Post a Comment