Having been a 5 handicapper as a teenager, I didn't play golf for 8 years. In 2007 I started playing golf again, and was given a handicap of 8 by my new club. I set myself a 5 season target to become a scratch golfer, the deadline being 30th September 2011. The clock is ticking.......

Wednesday 24 February 2010

Shiny New Irons Have Arrived

I got the call I’d been waiting for this afternoon, my irons had arrived.
A quick phone call to my boss, and 15 minutes later I was standing in the pro shop of my club looking at my new clubs.
Although it was getting dark and there were heavy showers coming and going, I couldn’t resist going out for 45 minutes and hitting some balls.
I hit a few 7 irons, and then moved onto my 5 iron. I gave a spontaneous reaction when I hit my first 5 iron and felt it coming off the clubface and rising, straight as an arrow, into the February gloom. The reaction rhymed with clucking bell, I won’t go into any more detail.
I then hit 21 pitching wedges from 100 yards out, 15 of them went within 10 feet of my target. There were a couple of squiffy ones in there, however the squiffy ones all had the same cause of squiffyness, so I reckon that’s a swing mechanic I need to work on.
I feel really confident hitting these irons, a large part of that is down to the notion of having new equipment, and part is down to the equipment itself. They even look really cool sitting in my golf bag with my wedges. This is now a golfer’s golf bag, instead of just a collection of golf clubs.
I’ve put myself down for 36 holes on Sunday, I’d never normally do that in February, but I like the feeling I get when I hit these irons so I want to do it more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment