Having been a 5 handicapper as a teenager, I didn't play golf for 8 years. In 2007 I started playing golf again, and was given a handicap of 8 by my new club. I set myself a 5 season target to become a scratch golfer, the deadline being 30th September 2011. The clock is ticking.......

Friday 4 June 2010

Middlesex County Championship Round 2

I followed up this morning’s 75 with………. another 75. This afternoon’s one was quite similar, I frittered shots away I the front nine, and then held on in the back nine. I didn’t have a capitulation for a few holes like this morning, it was just consistent shots being dropped. I should have figured that it wasn’t going to be the round I had dreamed of, when after hitting a cracking drive, and an eight iron to 2ft on my first hole this afternoon, I missed the putt.

I left before all of the scores were in, but some things are definite; I have not finished in the top 16 so have missed my target for this competition. However I have definitely improved on my previous finishes; I’m definitely in the top 32,  more than likely I have finished in around 28th place.

The course was in good condition, and the greens were very fast and true. The layout was quite tight, you are always walking past another fairway or green and have to be really aware of everyone else on the course.

My stats for the day were; Morning, 13 greens in regulation and 32 putts. Afternoon, 11 greens in regulation and 32 putts. From looking at those stats I should have scored better than 75 in the morning, but it was the triple bogey 8 on the 18th that was the cause of the pain, when for 5 minutes I morphed from a golfer into a hacker with the little known combination of hook, shank, hack out, shank, hack out, duff, chip, putt.
Playing on quality greens, and I mean real quality, makes a massive difference, as I didn’t feel that I putted very well today yet had 32 putts in each round. At my home course 32 putts would be a great success.

All in all, I have mixed feelings, I could have scored a lot better, but it wasn’t a total disaster. I’ve played 3 courses blind in the last 6 days and my worst score is 75. Hopefully when I get onto a course that I know well again tomorrow things will all fall into place. I’m sure I’ve said that before.

No comments:

Post a Comment