Having been a 5 handicapper as a teenager, I didn't play golf for 8 years. In 2007 I started playing golf again, and was given a handicap of 8 by my new club. I set myself a 5 season target to become a scratch golfer, the deadline being 30th September 2011. The clock is ticking.......

Sunday 30 May 2010

Strathmore 18 Hole Open Update

Strathmore 18 Hole Open Update

Having a short notice change of plan can work to an advantage on occasion. That certainly happened today, as I played Strathmore blind. It is a tough trek, well worthy of it's rating, and the greens were in good condition with some really heavy but subtle breaks. It was quite windy as well, which didn't help playing conditions. I found myself hitting the first 7 greens in regulation, and being 2 under par on the 8th tee. The next 7 were fairly poor, resulting in 2 three putts and 5 bogeys to put me 3 over par. But the ship was steadied and I finished with 3 pars then a birdie on the last, for gross 74 net 70. I hit 14 greens in regulation, which is really pleasing for the conditions, the 36 putts wasn't great, but the greens were quite contoured.
As things stand, with about 85% of players in, I am tied 2nd overall, although there are 5 players on 74 and I don't expect to win anything on countback as my back nine was poorer than my front nine. I have the 5th best net score in the clubhouse too. The best thing, other than playing really well, is that I will get my handicap cut by at least 0.1, possibly more. Makes up for the early disappointment of this morning's cancellation.

No comments:

Post a Comment